Pros and Cons of Taking Online Nursing Courses
Although online nursing is certainly available for all who want to take advantage of it, distance learning may not be for everyone.
The popularity of distance learning formats and the continuing demand for nurses has made accredited online nursing programs equally widespread. However, you have to look both at the positive sides and negative aspects of these platforms.
Good Points about Online Nursing Courses
- Convenience should be number one among the reasons for students to enroll in e-learning programs. While home work has deadlines for submission, nursing classes online are not very strict about schedules. Students can gain access to instructions at their convenience regardless of their residence or if currently travelling.
- Another good thing about distance learning is that it is not covered by geographic boundaries. Classes online for nursing connect students from all over the globe so there can be sharing of ideas and new trends. You can learn anywhere there is a personal computer and Internet access. At the same time, course work can be scheduled around your family and the work place.
- Students can check out or go through materials which have been learned and focus their efforts to become more proficient in areas which contain new information and skills. Classes online can have capacity for a variety of learning styles and make possible learning using an assortment of activities. Self-paced modules enable students to work at their own speed and choose materials which are comparable to their level of knowledge and interest.
- Nursing degrees online enhance individual attention and intensity of interaction from instructors and students which cannot be attained in a big classroom environment. Said courses promote introspective learning opportunities giving students the opportunity to ponder carefully before making any response. Interactive communications can do away with barriers preventing some individuals from expressing themselves in face-to-face situations. Students can think about the readings prior to engaging in the discussions.
- In nursing school online, homogeneous standards are maintained along with steady delivery of content, fewer mistakes and safer atmosphere. Moreover, students can boost their knowledge of the Internet and garner computers skills that can help them throughout their careers.
- The distance learning approach minimizes inflexible conceptions based on student’s age, gender, ethnicity, background, or experience level.
The Negative Aspects of Distance Education
The online college course has many benefits but there are downsides such as inadequate interaction with mentors.
- Online programs give you the chance to use instant messenger or Skype to chat in real-time with instructors. However, these conversations have to be scheduled and are usually scarce compared to the daily face-to-face interface in the traditional classroom.
- Besides, unspecified lecture courses fail to create an impact for some students. You may find yourself struggling without these opportunities if you are the type of student who prefers smaller conferences and likes to ask a lot of questions. When you do not have regular interactions with professors, you miss out on creating relationships that can result in essential guidance and recommendation letters.
- Taking classes online can also mean restricted social contact. This can take away important networking opportunities for your future career.
You may have to be tech-savvy to understand the technicalities and software. Thus, a lot of online nursing programs keep their technical specifications quite simple such as word processing programs, PDF reader and web connection as online learning tools.